Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Off with their heads...A trip to Versailles

I've been to Versailles before and I hadn't been planning a trip this time around, but my friend Jason told me about a special exhibit by Jeff Koons.  Turns out, it was well worth it.  Last year my sister Alex and I visited the palace (chateau) and hung out in the gardens. We walked around the gardens by Marie Antoinette's estate and had a humdinger of a time.  That day while we were touring the palace it stormed and when we got to the gardens, the fragrance of the flowers mixed with the rain was overwhelming and made the visit a full sensory experience.  My visit yesterday was different as I wasn't able to share it with anybody, it was very lonely. So, I thought I'd share my day with you all through the pictures I took.

Versailles was much more different than last year and I'm assuming the exhibits and rooms open for viewing vary all the time.  It was like I had never been there before. The original gold gate had been restored and put back in its original place.  And I had thought the gate last year was the original...I was wrong!  Versailles was basically sacked during the Revolution and the original art and furniture was sold at auction. Right after the end of the Revolution and during the past two centuries the restorations have been ongoing.  Much of the original artwork has been...you know what, if you want to know the history of Versailles check out this website:  History of Versailles 

Okay, I don't feel like writing...so check out my pictures until I feel like writing.  It might take a little while. Uploading photos take a minute.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

how do I see the pics and I can't see the video above... help meee.